Thursday, July 19, 2007

Sick

It's about 1:15 in the morning, and I think my fever is breaking. I've spent the last two days in the fog of the sick person: unable to think beyond the next few steps, where are my tissues, why is it so hot in here, oh god it hurts.
Right now I'm thinking: Crap, I'm behind in my work. Which, I think, is a good sign. That and I'm sweating profusely, breathing through my nose and suddenly wide awake in the middle of the night.
It's weird, isn't it, how we can shut down the world until we're nothing but the basic functions: eat, pee, sleep.

Because of where I work, there can be no sick days; I teach in whatever condition I'm in, all year round. So I'm going to eat this sleeve of Ritz crackers, drink my 7 up and try to go back to sleep. But I think I'm on the mend.

2 comments:

Gina said...

There is something so wrong about being sick like that in the summer, though.

Ginger said...

Is it a cold or sinus infection? Because I was wondering if it were the cram legs you ate. I'm with you on sick days. My profession doesn't really allow them either (unless they are scheduled months in advace.)