Monday, March 05, 2007

You May Be Right. I May Be Crazy.

On Saturday, I traveled to Raleigh with my sister to meet my mom and see a Billy Joel show. After some difficulty actually arriving at the RBC Stadium, we found we had awesome floor seats and the show was excellent. And I'm not even that big a Billy Joel fan. You know how sometimes you see someone and you think, "Dude. Time to retire"? Well, not so for Mr. Joel who was in fine voice and sang all the good ones, including We Didn't Start the Fire, which I memorized in the 6th grade because that was just so cool then.

My inner 6th grader was very proud that I could still shout 87% of the lyrics.

As I stood there in the darkness, I realized that I have only been to 6 concerts in my life and 3 of them were with my parents.

Prepare to be absolutely bowled over by how cool I am:

1. NKOTB with Mom
2. Extreme with Dad (yes, my dad took me to see Extreme. ZZ Top opened, if you can believe such a thing. Probably I owe my dad some sort of terrible debt for this.)
3. Violent Femmes (hoping for partial redemption there. They played my college. 700 kids in a field with the Violent Femmes. Someone stepped on my face. It was one of the best nights of my life.)
4. Tracy Chapman
5. Tori Amos
6. Billy Joel with Mom

Yes, folks, I am the most bad-ass person ever. My first time giving Devil Points at a show was seeing Billy Joel with my mom.

Happy Birthday, Mom and Ali!

9 comments:

Gina said...

Billy Joel was the second concert I ever saw, back in the late 80's.

I think I have been to over 50 concerts, I once blogged a list and it was pretty huge. I think it is just due to where I live.

But, none of them were with my parents! ;)

Kim said...

Oh, man, Billy Joel kicks ass! Probably I'll get my own ass kicked for saying so, but I believe it.

This makes me ponder my own concert going:

1. Chumbawamba (at college)
2. Cake
3. KC and the Sunshine Band
4. Ringo Starr and his All-Starr Band
5. Barenaked Ladies
6. Cake again, and Ben Folds
7. Jump Little Children (with Ashley, and I actually sat in the bar for part of it-- sorry, Ashley!)

And I think that's it. I'm not much of a live-music person...

ashley said...

My first concert was Alabama in Stegman Collesium at UGA. And then as a freshman in high school, I skipped the homecoming football game to go to the Rod Stewart Unplugged tour. Also I saw Don McLean in the latter part of my high school years. Totally worth it to hear him sing "American Pie" and "Vincent" live.

Meg, I'm totally jealous. I kind of love Billy Joel. I like to rock out to his greatest hits every now and again.

mendacious said...

i also went to a NKOTB!! with my friend while her dad picked us up after. . . and of course TIFFANY.

yeeeeeoooowwwww.

penelope said...

I love Billy Joel. And, secretly, NKTOB. Syracuse, Carrier Dome, circa 1989, baby.

I still love you, Joey McIntyre!!!

Megs said...

Joe McIntyre and I have the same number of teeth.

Ann Marie said...

I went to see NKOTB with both my parents. It was my dream to be Mrs. Joe McIntyre.

penelope said...

I tried to look up his number at the library one time and call him from a pay phone.

Megs said...

I got his home address and wrote to him every single day for almost a year.