Wednesday, November 01, 2006

La La Blogland

Just spent approximately one hour trying to decide whether or not to try to change over to Wordpress. I don't know why, but there's something just inherently more appealing to me in the layout of wordpress blogs than in blogger blogs. This was something I knew absolutely nothing about when I started blogging. Why I care now is open to debate. However, having read numerous posts about the incredible hassle of trying to convert a blogger blog to a wordpress blog...I surrender. I hope I'll like Blogger Beta when I finally get around to upgrading.

I came so late into the blogging world that I'm only just now getting around to reading the "staple-blogs," my absolute favorite of which is definitely Dooce. I think Thomas would be really happy if I stopped sitting slack-jawed in front of the computer for hours, trying to inhale the last 4 years of Heather's blog in one week. But I think reading her has really moved me as far as what I would like to be able to do. I mean, I sit about, berating myself all the time for not writing--but I consider what she does as writing, for sure. So am I really writing all the time? Maybe I can't take it to Writers' Group, but I'm writing. Maybe I wish I hadn't spent an astounding amount of money on graduate school so that I could keep this blog...but still. I am writing.

I've been pondering whether or not to reveal that I'm trying to participate in NaBloPoMo, in which the goal is to blog every day for a month. I guess I've wanted to keep it to myself because I don't want my posts to come across as forced or required. But I'm definitely coming to realize how much this little bit of webspace, this little bit of writing, means to me and I'm trying to encourage and foster that in myself wherever possible.

Today I had planned for you a lovely little ditty that I have composed in honor of the Kids in the Hall, which I have recently discovered. Thomas and I were discussing my woeful lack of sketch-comedy references...so we've been netflixing SNL, SCTV and Kids in the Hall. I've wandered around with The Dave Song in my head for a week. But damn blogger won't upload my pictures today. More tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, I love Blogger Beta. Our company blog is still in old Blogger, and I ALWAYS have to fight with it to upload my photos...

I think the beauty of the blog is that it's the first thing I've written in a long time that has an audience that I'm still just writing for myself. It's been so good to write again. And yeah, I spent three years and a ton of money to write a blog, but 'tis something. Who know where it will lead?

Anonymous said...

As a wordpresser myself, I can attest to its good points. But, in truth, I like some things about it, but not so much others. Beta has a lot of things that wordpress.com, as a principle, doesn't have--like the ability to include javascript and ads($). But wordpress.com is pretty ambitious with the innovations on a weekly basis, and I like their themes much better than the Beta templates (when it was the old blogger, you could design your own template, or download one from the web, and that made for a ton of variety).

Both sites seem to be growing in good directions. If you get even more serious about the blog and want to change it, you can pay for a hosting site and get the standalone version of wordpress (different than the .com version) and do a freaking ton of things with it. It's still free, too. You just pay the hosting fee and buy the domain name.

I think any writing that gets done is good, no matter what. My .02$