Sunday, April 22, 2007

All the Latest


So, this weekend was the famous library booksale. I went Saturday and today, because I am just that much of a dork. And I saved 10 dollars to maybe go back on Wednesday when the dregs are just 10 cents. Book lust ran rampant this weekend...

I replaced many books that I've lent out over time and lost track of, and bought for myself many books that I've borrowed from others (Ali) and loved.

Replaced:
The Bullfighter Checks her Makeup by Susan Orlean
The Bean Trees, Animal Dreams and Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver
A Short History of a Small Place by T.R. Pearson
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

If you have my copy of any of these, just keep it.

And then I just bought books. 40 books in all. Hopefully enough to hold me to the next library booksale.

Afterward, Michelle, Kathy, Thomas and I came home and cooked a huge breakfast of fresh eggs with tomato, green pepper, onion and cheese; whole wheat belgian waffles; bacon; and toast. And also mimosas. After we were suitably buzzed (what is that morning buzz? Any alcohol before 11 and I'm a space cadet) and full, we retired to the porch and read selections from our new books to one another. It was blissful. Thomas and I think we should do it every year, complete with dramatic readings.

I was thinking today, after watering all the beautiful plants Michelle gave me (ginger lilies, irises, ribbon plant, anemones, daisies and sedum) and trading seeds (nasturtium, echinecia) with Kathy, how lucky I am to have such wonderful friends who share all my deepest loves: books, gardening, laughter, food, movies...even blogging. I have much love for all my friends today, including those in the blogosphere.

In further exciting news, I got a letter from Pat Koballah! He says he wants to buy my car. I think it's love.

2 comments:

velocibadgergirl said...

40 books?! Swooning with jealousy and glee for you!

penelope said...

I bought a whole box today, too, it was quite a treat. Love the Library Book Sale! This lady in front of me, though? Maybe she was buying for an organization, I don't know, but she had to use one of the flatbeds for her purchases. The talliers looked rather flustered. She easily must have bought a few hundred books.