Monday, June 05, 2006

The Case for Kissing My Ass

Ok, so dude, this day has not gotten any better. On my four mile walk, it poured. My kind husband took my car to come and try to retrieve me from the rain, but I got home first and thought my car was stolen because his wasn't there either (so I thought he wasn't home yet). Why wasn't it there? Because it was dead in the parking lot of Harris Teeter.

But I remembered something I wanted to blog about: what my teaching assistant gave me on the last day of school.

The class was just beginning and my assistant said she had a present for me
from the class. I opened the package to discover The Case For Christ: A Journalistic Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesus. So clearly NOT, in fact, from the class, but from my evangelistic assistant. I am so incredibly offended by this.
First of all, Quakers ARE Christians. I don't know how many times I'm going to have to say this to all the people who want to convert me to Christianity. I am a Christian!
Secondly, even if I were a devil worshipper, it is inappropriate to randomly try to convert all of those around you to your way of thinking. Imagine if I were a devil worshipper and presented my assistant with The Case for Satan as a parting gift. No one would think that was appropriate.
Thirdly, this is a SCHOOL! A non-denominational school. Today as I was cleaning up my room I found that she had distributed Jesus themed coloring sheets to my class on the last day of school. (It is her job to aquire and distribute coloring sheets while I read to the class). If a parent were to call and complain about that, I would be in big ass trouble.

I cannot understand the need in any person, Christian or otherwise, to try to convert others to his or her religion. My religion is personal, as I assume yours is. I would no more give out a book called The Inner Light to all those I worked with than I would pee on my desk.

1 comment:

Cue said...

When I graduated from the MFA, the family I'd been baby-sitting for that whole time (so, like, two and a half years) gave me a Bible. I mean, okay, it's really nice that they thought to give me a graduation gift, but a Bible?? I guess they knew me better than I thought they did. Really, they should've just doused me with holy water and called it a day.