Monday, April 24, 2006

Splenda=the Devil

Back to PSA mode...

A few years ago while I still had the benefit of free inspection by the incompetent (yet sometimes right) UNCW health services, I found out that I was developing diabetes. This came as no enormous shock, as it runs pretty strongly through both sides of my family. But being that at that time I had no health insurance (still don't!) the doctors recommended a low carb diet for controlling my blood sugar. It worked like a charm. Most of the horrifying pre-diabetes symptoms (some too graphic to mention) disappeared right away, I stopped fainting in public and lost about 60 pounds. Excellent. I heart Dr. Atkins and still do.

One of the things that has made my transition from whole-pizza-wolfer-downer to slimmer, more healthy, no-sugar eating Megs has been Splenda. Dr. Atkins loved Splenda, and the Atkins craze seemed to cause all companies to begin using it. Ice cream returned to my life and angels sang. My whole family relies on it to help us stay honest and not rot our feet off (diabetes is so great. Yay.)

This weekend I went to a party at my friend's house--where I drunkenly allowed myself to be henna-tattooed, but that's another story--and I met a girl there who is allergic to Splenda. She began telling me about her panic attacks, heart palpatations, dry eyes...a whole slew of symptoms. I immediately called my sister over because she eats a ton of Splenda and has a ton of these symptoms. She found out today after some research that not only are those and other neurological and cardiological symptoms typical of a Splenda allergy, but that it could also explain fluctuations in her hormones causing her to stop getting her period and start bizarrely losing and gaining weight.

So beware!

This PSA brought to you by a Megs who will dearly miss her Splenda ice cream.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

When ever I surf on web I never forget to visit this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here incrediblemegs.blogspot.com. I am sure due to busy scedules we really do not get time to care about our health. In plain english I must warn you that, you are not serious about your health. Recent Research indicates that nearly 80% of all United States adults are either fat or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Hence if you're one of these people, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? You can easily lose with with little effort. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am author of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for quick weight loss.